History

DON SABAS CAVAZOS was born December 1816 in Camargo, Nuevo Santander, Mexico. He was the son of José María Francisco Cavazos and Doña Estefana Goseascochea and great grandson of José Salvador De La Garza, original grantee of the Espirito Santo Grant, in which the cities of Brownsville and Rancho Viejo are located. His great-great grandfather, Capt. Blas María de la Garza Falcón IV (1712-1767), was named captain and chief justice of Camargo on March 5, 1749 and played a very important role in the exploration, colonization and settlement of towns along the Rio Grande.

DON SABAS CAVAZOS was a successful rancher and was held in high esteem in the community and much has been written about his half-brother, the legendary Brig. Gen. Juan N. Cortina.

 

A copy of the original Safe Conduct pass given to DON SABAS CAVAZOS by Sam Houston, then Governor of Texas, is attached. Dated January 7, 1860, it reads "To all Texans whether in or out of service. This will certify that Sabas Cavazos is a good and true citizen and by virtue of this, his safe conduct, he will be treated as such."

The one acre fenced site is part of the Espirito Santo Grant, granted to the family by the King of Spain in 1781. The site was surveyed and the deed recorded in the Deed Records of Cameron County, Texas (Volume 425 pages 440-443) in August 30, 1947. The cemetery was for the use and benefit for the heirs of DON SABAS CAVAZOS.

The first to be buried at the site was DON SABAS CAVAZOS in February 25,1878.

Others buried here are members of the families whose ancestors either worked for the family or born and raised in the community.

Pfc Conrado Balli, U.S. Army, killed April 12, 1944 during World War II is buried here. He was born and raised in San Pedro and was San Pedro's first and only war casualty.

Menu