History

The first post office was in the Bonner building at the corner of Rowson and Bowie in 1905. It later was located successively on South Sam Houston Boulevard on the Farmers' State Bank, now the Cameron Country Annex stands, then just across the street where Michel's Pharmacy later Gist Pharmacy and now Henson's Lingerie Outlet is located, on Rowson Street in the Agar Building which now houses Joe's and Oscar's Grocery.

San Benito Post Office was originally established as Diaz, Texas on April 2, 1907. The name was changed to San Benito Post Office on May 11, 1907 when it was learned there was already a city of Diaz in Texas.

Main Menu

Old safe in the post office